Electrical safety is a very important issue for all households especially families with children. It is crucial to always keep an eye on the electronic appliances around your house to ensure they do not cause any electrical accidents. To keep yourself and your family away from any electrical dangers, take a look at the following:
- Take care of your appliance cords. Keep your electrical appliances, their cords and all extension far from any source of water. Make sure that all your cords are in great condition.
- Avoid having “piggy‐back” or multiple double adaptor connections! Having many cords connected to an outlet that is designed to have only one or two can cause dangerous electrical overloading.
- Make sure all your outlets are childproof. You should get childproof plugs into your electrical outlets to discourage children from pushing objects and sticking small items inside of them.
- All your electrical wiring needs to be done by a licensed electrician. No matter how small the repair ends up being, always call an electrical professional.
- Install safety switches in your property. You should install safety switches in your meter box.
- Test your safety switches regularly. A good rule to follow in order to ensure the safety of your property is to test your safety switches every couple of months. This is pretty easy to do so as it requires you to only press the “test” or “T” button on each switch. If the switch turns off the power, then your safety switch is working properly.
- Watch out for overhead lines. You should always avoid coming into contact with any overhead lines. If you work near them, always keep your distance, at least 6 metres for electrical lines on poles and more than 10 metres for electrical lines on towers.
If you find any electrical risk around your house, don’t hesitate contact a licensed electrician. Call us on 02 9186 3788 and let our electrician solve the problems for you. We specialise in residential, commercial and emergency electrical issues as well as other electrical services. Also take a look at our services: